Whole of Home assessments and ratings
The update to NatHERS to include Whole of Home assessments and ratings will be gradually phased in.
The expansion will occur in four phases: development, establishment, release and modify. The expanded Whole of Home scheme is expected to be fully operational by September 2022, to support the potential changes to the National Construction Code (NCC) 2022. You can see more specific information, dates and milestones below and in the development timeline.
If you have any questions about the introduction of the Whole of Home ratings and assessments please contact the NatHERS Administrator.
The development phase has begun and will continue until July 2021. This phase includes the development of:
- The consultation version of the NatHERS Whole of Home Benchmark Software Tool (AccuRATE). The Benchmark Tool will be used for testing the accuracy of new Whole of Home tools seeking accreditation under NatHERS.
- The draft NatHERS Whole of Home Certificate. A new Certificate is being designed that will incorporate a Whole of Home rating and other information about the appliances and solar photovoltaic systems.
- Training modules for new and existing NatHERS assessors who want to become accredited Whole of Home assessors.
- Communications to help industry and stakeholders stay informed about the changes and transition to the expanded scheme.
The development phase will also include consultation on the NatHERS Whole of Home Benchmark Tool and an Expression of Interest process for interested whole of home tool developers.
The establishment phase will occur from July 2021 to March 2022. This phase will include:
- A public consultation period on the expanded Whole of Home scheme.
- Alignment of the NatHERS Whole of Home Software Benchmark Tool with the potential NCC 2022 energy efficiency provisions.
- Commence roll-out of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Whole of Home Overview unit for existing NatHERS assessors.
- Commence development of additional CPD units for existing NatHERS assessors.
The release phase will occur from April 2022 to June 2022. The release phase will include:
- Commence of accreditation of NatHERS Whole of Home tools. New NatHERS Whole of Home tools will be accredited under the Whole of Home Software Accreditation Protocol.
- Commence roll-out of additional CPD units for existing NatHERS assessors.
- Release of the expanded Whole of Home scheme.
- Release of communications and industry transition materials.
The modify phase will occur from July 2022 to September 2022.
The modify phase will allow for any final adjustments to accredited NatHERS Whole of Home tools to support the final NCC 2022 requirements, with accreditation of tools ongoing as applications are received.
For further information on Whole of Home changes please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page.